1 a military campaign designed to achieve a specific objective in a foreign country [syn: military expedition, hostile expedition]
2 an organized group of people undertaking a journey for a particular purpose; "an expedition was sent to explore Mars"
3 a journey organized for a particular purpose
4 a journey taken for pleasure; "many summer excursions to the shore"; "it was merely a pleasure trip"; "after cautious sashays into the field" [syn: excursion, jaunt, outing, junket, pleasure trip, sashay]
5 the property of being prompt and efficient; "it was done with dispatch" [syn: dispatch, despatch, expeditiousness]
- The quality of being expedite; efficient promptness; haste; dispatch; speed; quickness; as to carry the mail with expedition.
- A sending forth or setting forth the execution of some object of consequence; progress.
- An important enterprise, implying a change of place; especially, a warlike enterprise; a march or a voyage with martial intentions; an excursion by a body of persons for a valuable end; as, a military, naval, exploring, or scientific expedition.
- The body of persons making such excursion.
- A midsize Ford SUV model. See Ford Expedition
Expedition may refer to:
- A journey undertaken for a specific purpose, usually exploration and/or research
- Military expedition
- Expedition, the science-fiction book by Wayne Douglas Barlowe.
- Ford Expedition, a Ford Motor Company's large sports utility vehicle.
- Expedition (Pokémon Trading Card Game), a Pokémon Trading Card set.
- A long duration mission to the International Space Station
expedition in Czech: Expedice
expedition in German: Expedition (Begriffsklärung)
expedition in Indonesian: Ekspedisi
expedition in Dutch: Expeditie
advance, advancement, adventure, agility, air speed, alacrity, briskness, campaign, celerity, circuit, clarification, course, crusade, decisiveness, dispatch, drive, easing, emprise, enterprise, excursion, expediting, expeditiousness, exploration, facilitation, fastness, flight, flit, flurry, forwarding, furtherance, goodwill, grand tour, ground speed, haste, hastening, helping along, holy war, hurry, hustle, immediacy, immediateness, instantaneousness, jaunt, jihad, journey, junket, knots, lightning speed, miles per hour, mission, nimbleness, outing, package tour, peregrination, peregrinations, pilgrimage, pleasure trip, precipitation, preferential treatment, progress, promotion, promptitude, promptness, punctuality, punctualness, quest, quickening, quickness, rapidity, readiness, round pace, round trip, rpm, rubberneck tour, run, rush, rushing, rustle, safari, sally, sharpness, shoot, simplification, simplifying, smartness, smoothing, snappiness, special treatment, speed, speediness, speeding, spryness, stalk, streamlining, summariness, swift rate, swiftness, tour, travels, trek, trip, turn, undertaking, velocity, voyage, war